The first step to building a career from home is to figure out what it is that you want to do. Once you’ve listed down your key strengths, it is important to know your options.
Sometimes high achievers with amazing degrees under their belt fail to get decent paying work simply because they cannot go to an institution and need to work from home.
It is not uncommon for such talent to go to waste, simply because they failed to capitalize on their talent. By turning their biggest weakness into their biggest strength, however, they can turn their life around.
I have personally met people in the education sector who feel dejected simply because they feel like they cannot excel in their chosen career path because of their inability to attend daily institute hours. That is not true. If it were, today Coursera (an online learning website) wouldn’t be worth over $ 146 million!
How To Work From Home If You’re In The Education Sector:
The opportunities when looking to as an online teacher are endless. The world is open to you and it is true that internet bridges gaps like no other. In order to pursue work at home jobs as an online teacher you need to be:
- Able to work around time zones: Some people prefer hiring natives to teach them English as a second language but these potential students, naturally, live in different countries and therefore different time zones. It is thus important to be absolutely flexible in your work hours.
- Strong internet connection and laptop: It is essential to have access to the internet and use on-net communication applications to video conference with your class and engage in lessons. In order for lessons to be interactive, a steady connection with a microphone and working webcam is necessary.
- Setting a pace: It is essential to be an effective communicator and be able to relate to your students. A good teacher knows how to not let distance affect his/her teaching by successfully being able to gauge where the students stand. The difference in time zone, religion, race and culture can be bridged by a good teacher.
Some Of The Best Places To Find Work Are:
- Freelancing websites like Upwork, Freelancer, and Peopleperhour which always have job postings looking for people who can engage in online classrooms and teach foreigners.
- Coursera/Udemy: If you are someone who has exceptional credentials, you can work for websites such as Coursera, Udemy or Lynda.com as an online professor.
- YouTube tutorials: Something that everyone can do is teach via YouTube videos. If there is something you excel at, you can easily record videos of yourself and turn them into YouTube videos. Using YouTube to create tutorials or using it to gain a student following is something that can potentially turn into a great source of income.
The internet is a heaven of opportunities for teachers who want to teach from home. There are people who can genuinely benefit from your knowledge; people in developing countries who don’t have access to free education can learn so much from online teachers.
Knowing you can have that kind of impact on someone’s life is a feeling one cannot explain. It is, therefore, extremely beneficial to look into the world of virtual and distance learning.